Cris Berneburg - US wrote:
Hi Folks

I'm having trouble with my JSP web app using Tomcat 6 and 7 on Windows Server
2012.
The issue is that no matter what file I request in the browser URL, it always returns the app welcome file, that is, the login page. Even when requesting an image. The one exception is that after logging in, the main menu page appears, but none of the graphics or CSS files load. Clicking on the app links, it just brings up the welcome page again. Checking the Tomcat log files, I see that Tomcat is returning the welcome page instead of the files requested in the main menu page.

Using the Tomcat manager, I see that my application has a ridiculous number of
sessions, instead of just one.  I interpret that for every single file
requested, a new Tomcat session is being generated and possibly invalidated..

FYI, using the same setup on Windows Server 2003 and 2008 works fine.  Opening
the same firewall ports on all three OS's has been done.  Even disabling the
firewall on 2012 does not affect the issue in any way.  And to make things even
weirder, accessing the application from a browser on the server itself using
localhost works fine!

I wonder if there is some mystery setting somewhere that is crippling the app.
Got any suggestions?  Please help.  Thanks!

Without realling getting to the bottom of it, the way you describe it sounds like an authentication problem, where a bunch of near simultaneous requests to the server (for embedded images, css, etc.) all hit some "not yet authenticated" condition, and all together (or rather each separately) return a 401 or similar (or a login page instead of a requested image e.g.).

Maybe there is something new in that respect with Windows Server 2012, which your application's authentication framework does not handle well ?
(or the structure of your application).
(e.g. the login page itself contains references to images and css which themselves are in a protected area and so on).