Tomcat 7.0.42
jdk1.7.0_51
Ubuntu 12.04/CentOS dev/deploy

I have been reading more and more about Google and the like
prioritising sites that employ https/ssl by default. Currently my site
does not use https but delegates payment to a secure payment provider
who does, thusly I have avoided going through the pain of
certification etc, now it appears I have little option but to
implement https site wide. I have managed to get a keystore going and
have configured tomcat to serve a self signed certificate when
accessing the site by https (default port 443)

so http://localhost accesses the home page
and https://localhost pops up a warning in Firefox regarding an
unknown certification authority. This is all good and I'm pretty sure
I understand so far.

I have noticed that if I type http://www.google.co.uk in to a browser
the address is automatically changed (redirected) to
https://www.google.co.uk and I would like the same to happen to my
site.

Here is the question.
Is this 'redirection' something I need to configure myself , (can it
be done in server.xml for example) or is this something the people I
rent my server from need to do at their end.

TIA
Duncan