Mark,

On 12/18/14 3:44 AM, Mark Thomas wrote:
> On 18/12/2014 01:57, Nan Ge wrote:
>>>

>>> Which part of "WEB-INF/lib is only ever scanned for JARs.
>>> Everything else is ignored." did you not understand?
>>

>> Yes, I see that only WEB-INF/lib/*.jar files are scanned.

>>> "If
>>> they
>>>
>>> As per the docs, scanAllDirectories applies to directories
>>> found on the class path not to WEB-INF/lib since it is not on
>>> the class path. (WEB-INF/lib/*.jar is on the class path and
>>> that is not a directory).
>>>
>> And for WEB-INF/classes, only unpacked classes and
>> resources(without any top-level non-package-name directories) are
>> accepted, an "expanded JAR file" is not accepted here.
>
> Wrong. If WEB-INF/classes/META-INF exists and scanAllDirectories is
> set, the contents of WEB-INF/classes will be treated as an expanded
> JAR.

This sounds odd to me; isn't WEB-INF/classes *always* treated as if it
were an "expanded JAR file"? That is, WEB-INF/classes is directly in
the webapp's classpath and resources in there can be loaded by the
classloader. If foo.jar (regardless of its location) were on the
classpath, anything inside of it can be loaded by the classloader.

It doesn't make any sense to me to differentiate between
WEB-INF/classes as ... whatever it is usually considered, and using
scanAllDirectories="true" to treat is as an "expanded JAR file"
because the behavior -- as best as I can tell -- is entirely identical.

I've read the documentation for <JarScanner> several times now because
of this thread, and it's entirely unclear to me what e=the difference
in behavior will be given that documentation plus your comments here.

Mark, can you clarify what behavior will actually change when
scanAllDirectories="true" is set?

>> Then where else should I put an "expanded JAR file", except
>> WEB-INF/lib and WEB-INF/classes?
>
> "should" depends on what you are trying to achieve - something you
> haven't yet explained.

I get what you're trying to do, here, and its not entirely clear to me
under what circumstances an "expanded JAR file" would be useful. It
would be nice to understand a proper use-case for this feature,
because one presumably exists or the feature would not.

Thanks,