Daniel,

On 1/19/15 9:21 AM, Daniel Mikusa wrote:
> I've not personally used memcache, but I have used redis, so I
> guess that's a similar approach.

Are you using Redis for session persistence?

> The technology was a nice fit, but it didn't seem like a huge win
> versus the out-of-the-box session replication.  Both worked and
> both were fast enough for what I needed.  I stuck with the
> out-of-the-box stuff because it's distributed and replicated by
> default and didn't require an extra server.

Aah, so you evaluated it and discarded it as an option for sessions
because it didn't offer much over what comes with Tomcat?

> Where I've mainly used redis is in restricted environments where
> direct communication from one node to the other is not possible,
> like in some "cloud" environments, or when it's not as easy to
> setup like when multicast is disabled.

I'm curious because I looked at a handful of packages for this kind of
thing (we are storing authentication nonces that need to be accessible
from all of our Tomcat servers) and we settled on memcached if only
for its simplicity and solid reputation.

Some things it cannot do:

1. Replicate to other nodes. You can do sharding, but it's pretty
   low-brow and the shards don't actually know about each other.
   All of the smarts are in the client. The server doesn't do any
   of this. Evidently, there are some flavors of memcached that
   have been hacked to provide replication to other nodes, but
   it's not part of the main distribution and didn't seem ... safe.

2. Dump its database to disk. If you restart, you lose everything.

3. Allow you to browse. Basically, if you know an item's key,
   you can fetch its value. If you don't, you are out of luck. You
   can't just poke around looking for things. There is no
   equivalent of "SELECT * LIMIT 5" just to see what's in there.

Does Redis do any of the above?

Honestly, I think what Tomcat needs is a session manager for Cassandra
or something similar: something intended to be a primary data store
and not a cache (like memcached is).