> From: Christopher Schultz [mailto:ch...@christopherschultz.net]
> Subject: Re: FarmWarDeployer not checking watchDir

> So you can get a list of names, but you can't get any other
> information about the files, like anything returned by stat().

Correct; stat() retrieves metadata that's stored in the inode, so you must have
access to the inode, not just the directory entry.

> everything gave me either an error (e.g. ls) or en empty listing (vi)
> of that directory.

Expected; there are no standard tools I'm aware of that _only_ read and display
directory entries; pretty much everything wants to go deeper to the target of
the directory entry (the inode).

> I think the JRE uses honest-to-goodness execute permissions for
> certain things on modern (read: NT) filesystems, but I think there are
> some files that have implicit execute permission (like anything ending
> in .com, .exe, .pif, .bat, .cmd, or maybe others as well).

There actually is an explicit execute permission in Windows (separate from
read) for files; for directories, there's a list-folder-contents permission
akin to POSIX execute.  Any file in Windows can be marked as executable; the
extension list is just the set of extensions Windows checks for when a command
is given without an extension.

> > Seems a bit odd that a .jar or .war file would need execute
> > access, though.

>? Not looking for execute privs on the WAR... only the containing
> directory.

Ahh - I misunderstood.

 - Chuck

attachments from all computers.