Good post Christopher ;)

It makes me remember this doc which is not bad for securing Tomcat :
https://www.owasp.org/index.php/Securing_tomcat

But it lacks some important information on Windows rights which could
be more restricted (I'll try to post something about it one day). And
others like :

-disabling deploy-on-startup / auto-deployment then a hacker cannot
push its own war file (but more work to push your own, trusted wars,
never seen such config in production till now but it makes sense)

-disabling Jasper for existing JSPs then a hacker cannot modify a JSP
(
http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-7.0-doc/jasper-howto.html#Production_Configuration
), but this has no effect on a newly hacker-created JSP which still
can be browsed/compiled/executed. However this last one problem can be
addressed by the Security Manager for disabling file creation (example
: http://blog.river-tiger.com/tomcat-against-hacking)

A.T.