Brian,

On 2/27/15 3:38 PM, Brian V. Casteel wrote:

> -----Original Message----- From: David kerber
> [mailto:dcker...@verizon.net] Sent: Friday, February 27, 2015 2:36
> PM To: Tomcat Users List Subject: Re: 1st time user
>
> On 2/27/2015 3:25 PM, Brian V. Casteel wrote:
>>

>> -----Original Message----- From: David kerber
>> [mailto:dcker...@verizon.net] Sent: Friday, February 27, 2015
>> 2:24 PM To: Tomcat Users List Subject: Re: 1st time user
>>
>> On 2/27/2015 3:07 PM, Brian V. Casteel wrote:
>>>

>>> -----Original Message----- From: Christopher Schultz
>>> [mailto:ch...@christopherschultz.net] Sent: Friday, February
>>> 27, 2015 11:32 AM To: Tomcat Users List Subject: Re: 1st time
>>> user

>>> OK  I have Tomcat installed.  But when how do I make my java on
>>> my HTML page from IIS run it?
>>>

>> Java, or JavaScript?  They are two very different animals.
>>
>> I have a bit of javascipt I want to run on a page hosted from my
>> IIS server.
>
> Javascript is normally run in the client browser, not on the
> server. There is also some server-side javascript, but I doubt that
> is what you're referring to.  Even so, that would normally be done
> by your IIS, rather than tomcat.

> At this point I am lost and confused.   I have a page.  I have a
> bit of java that I want to display on that page and do its little
> java thing.  However as of right now  my page is showing up as
> blank.

I think I'm starting to see the picture. Do you have a Java Applet
that you want to put on your page, or do you have a Java Servlet that
you want to run?

If you have an Applet, you don't need Tomcat /at all/: you just code
the page with an <object> tag in it, stick your JAR file containing
your applet in the right place and you can serve it with any web
server you want (including plain-old IIS). It will use the client's
Java Virtual Machine to run -- like like a Flash applet uses Flash
installed on the user's machine.

If you have a Servlet that will be producing content on the
server-side, then you do need Tomcat. If you have a dynamic page
generated by a Java servlet, including Javascript from IIS is not a
problem at all: just use a URL in your HTML page that will be handled
by IIS and it's no problem, either.

The "hard part" is connecting IIS and Tomcat so that some URLs handled
by IIS are proxied-through to Tomcat. You can use mod_jk for that,
though I have never done it myself (I don't live in the Microsoft world).

The best thing for a newbie to do is get the web application running
in Tomcat first, then slap a web server in front of it and get those
components connected.