Rop,

On 3/10/15 2:57 PM, rop wrote:
> We are trying to upgrade Tomcat from 7.0.35 to 7.0.59.
>
> For some reason, the form-based authentication gets broken after
> the upgrade, and just gives "Invalid username and/or password,
> please try again" when trying to login.
>
> Cannot find anything in catalina.out related to this.

What about the other log files in logs/? Nothing?

:(

> From our logging, it appears the DataSourceRealm.authenticate()
> never gets called at all.

What is your <Realm> configuration, and in what file is it configured?

> If I downgrade to 7.0.35, it works again...
>
> Anyone has a clue if anything changed between these versions, what
> the problem might be, or even how to troubleshoot the issue?

Some initial thoughts for what could be wrong:

a. You have put your <Realm> into conf/server.xml instead of into
   your web application's META-INF/context.xml file, and you forgot
   to copy that configuration from 7.0.35 to your new 7.0.59
   install.

b. You have put your <Realm> into conf/context.xml instead of into
   your web application's META-INF/context.xml file, and you should
   not have done that at all; move the <Realm> into META-INF/context.xml

c. The configuration you are modifying isn't the one that Tomcat is
   actually using. I find that this happens a lot to people who are
   launching Tomcat from within an IDE like Eclipse, because the IDE
   does odd things with configuration management.

d. You installed your JDBC driver into Tomcat 7.0.35's lib/ directory
   and didn't copy it into Tomcat 7.0.59's lib/ directory, though this
   should have given you errors on startup.

Take a look at those possibilities and let us know what you find.