>Exact command-line that starts Tomcat7 (as given e.g. by "ps -ef | grep java")
>:
Tomcat7
<application user>  5597     1 38 02:11 ?        00:00:13
/usr/lib/jvm/java-1.7.0-openjdk.x86_64/bin/java
-Djava.util.logging.config.file=/opt/tomcat/conf/logging.properties
-Djava.util.logging.manager=org.apache.juli.ClassLoaderLogManager
-Djava.endorsed.dirs=/opt/tomcat/endorsed -classpath
/opt/tomcat/bin/bootstrap.jar:/opt/tomcat/bin/tomcat-juli.jar
-Dcatalina.base=/opt/tomcat -Dcatalina.home=/opt/tomcat
-Djava.io.tmpdir=/opt/tomcat/temp org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap start

>Exact command-line that starts Tomcat6 (as given e.g. by "ps -ef | grep java")
>:
Tomcat6
<application user>  2860     1  0 10:34 ?        00:01:35
/usr/lib/jvm/java-1.7.0-openjdk.x86_64/bin/java
-Djava.util.logging.config.file=/opt/tomcat/conf/logging.properties
-Djava.util.logging.manager=org.apache.juli.ClassLoaderLogManager
-Djava.endorsed.dirs=/opt/tomcat/endorsed -classpath
/opt/tomcat/bin/bootstrap.jar -Dcatalina.base=/opt/tomcat
-Dcatalina.home=/opt/tomcat -Djava.io.tmpdir=/opt/tomcat/temp
org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap start

>Also, which exact example Tomcat application are you deploying in both cases
>above ?
The default application came with apache tomcat 6 and tomcat7