Some of the observations during the GC call monitoring / heap dump from JMAP:

Tomcat Version

Stages

Java Heap Usage

Java Heap Capacity

Virtual memory
(by top)

Resident Memory
(by top)

Tomcat 6

After tomcat startup

17.18 MB

367.8 MB

6712 MB

175 MB

After functional operation

18.77 MB

367.8 MB

6745 MB

207 MB

After Operation

45.51 MB

331.0 MB

6745 MB

235 MB

Tomcat 7

After tomcat startup

57.90 MB

655.8 MB

6795 MB

423 MB

After functional operation

97.64 MB

655.8 MB

6828 MB

558 MB

After Operation

142.58 MB

1864.0 MB

6828 MB

1000 MB

Observation:

•       Top’s reported virtual memory is approximately same.

•       Resident memory correlates with Java heap capacity. Refer to next slide
for details.