-----Original Message-----
From: Konstantin Kolinko [mailto:knst.koli...@gmail.com]
Sent: Sunday, March 29, 2015 5:59 PM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Re: Tomcat server Performance imporvement required

Email sent from outside of PSEG. Use caution before using links/attachments.

> Dear Team,
>
> I am an application developer from TCS and working for PSEG
> (https://www.pseg.com).
>
> You might have seen my queries which I forwarded on 12 Feb, 2015 for Tomcat
> server crashing issue. After that we have added some resources to the
> servers. Now we have two Tomcat6 servers each one is having 16GB of RAM and
> 8CUPS. All server are Linux 6.5 64 bit OS.
>
> As per application architecture we have two Apache Proxy servers and two
> Tomcat servers. Also we have two loadbalancers, one for Proxy loadbalancing
> and another for Tomcat loadbalancing. So, when request comes that comes to
> proxy loadbalncer first then Apache Proxy server -> Tomcat loadbalancer ->
> Tomcat server.
>
> Some days back on 19th and 23rd of March another incident occurs when server
> faced some issues again. This time none of the servers where crashed but for
> some highly used pages in the site, Apache proxy server started complaining
> Timeout which is 60 seconds. After googling we thought we could increase the
> Time out in Proxy but client don't accept that.
>
> So we need some tuning parameters on Tomcat server for better performance.
> Below are some of the setting parameters from actual server. Ports are masked.
>

> Initializing param:
>
> JAVA_OPTS="${JAVA_OPTS} -Xms1024M -Xmx1024M"
> CATALINA_OPTS="${CATALINA_OPTS} -Xms1024M -Xmx1024M"

Memory options should go into CATALINA_OPTS only, not both.

If you are using a 64-bit JVM, it needs more memory than a 32-bit JVM
would need, as object pointers require more memory.

<...>

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko

Dear Team,

Thanks for your replies.

We are going to increase the heap size of CATALINA to 4GB like
CATALINA_OPTS="${CATALINA_OPTS} -Xms4096M -Xmx4096M".

Is it required to increase the maxThread count also as we are increasing the
heap size? As of now the this parameter is as below:

maxThreads="512"

Regards,
Subhro Paul

The information contained in this e-mail, including any attachment(s), is
intended solely for use by the named addressee(s).  If you are not the intended
recipient, or a person designated as responsible for delivering such messages
to the intended recipient, you are not authorized to disclose, copy, distribute
or retain this message, in whole or in part, without written authorization from
PSEG.  This e-mail may contain proprietary, confidential or privileged
information. If you have received this message in error, please notify the
sender immediately. This notice is included in all e-mail messages leaving
PSEG.  Thank you for your cooperation.