John,

On 4/14/15 7:05 PM, John Beaulaurier -X (jbeaulau - ADVANCED NETWORK
INFORMATION INC at Cisco) wrote:
> Yes, I'm only needed to configure LDAP over SSL.

Okay.

> I have not been able to find any information on certificate
> directives for JNDI realm similar to httpd server.xml
> "LDAPTrustedGlobalCert CA_BASE64 /.pem" and "LDAPTrustedMode SSL".

Right: it appears no such options exist. They probably ought to exist.

> Where are similar directives configured?

- From my previous message:

> you'll need to set the javax.net.ssl.trustStore system property to
> point to your own trust store which contains the lowest
> certificate you are willing to completely trust. You may choose to
> trust the whole CA or maybe just the leaf certificate for the LDAP
> server (which might be slightly more appropriate/safe for your
> purpoases).

Note that this will set the trustStore for everything in the JVM
(except for Tomcat, which allows you to specify your own trustStore on
a per-Connector basis), so you'd better be careful that you aren't
affecting other components that use the JVM's global trustStore.

Oracle's documentation for that system property says:

"
javax.net.ssl.trustStore

This property is used to specify the location of the trust store. A
trust store is a key store that is used when making decisions about
which clients and servers can be trusted. The property takes a String
value that specifies a valid trust store location. The default value
is jssecacerts, if available, or cacerts.
"

So, basically, you create a trustStore (using keytool) that contains
all of the certificates that you trust, and then you just make SSL
connections and those servers which have been signed by the certs in
the trustStore will be trusted.

So, throw your PEM file(s) into a trustStore and point
javax.net.ssl.trustStore at it and you should be good.