> On 17 April 2015 09:37:40 BST, Dominic Hargreaves <d...@earth.li> wrote:

>>the
>>/usr/share
>>element
>>>
>>> No. The web application setting would take priority.
>>
>>Okay, thanks for confirming.

>>bug
>>>
>>> I'd say the bug is in the Debian packaging (but I would say that
>>> wouldn't I).
>>>
>>> Without know how Tomcat is packaged in Debian, I would expect the
>>following:
>>> - the Manager web application to be a separate, optional package
>>
>>Yep, it is.
>>
>>> - the web.xml to be placed in an appropriate location for users to be
>>> able to edit it.
>>>
>>> I took a quick look through the web.xml for the Manager app. There
>>are
>>> plenty of settings I wouldn't expect to change but there are a
>>handful
>>> of things that users might want to tweak.
>>>
>>> In theory, it should be possible to move those settings to
>>context.xml
>>> but that would require code changes and would mean do things that
>>were
>>> contrary to the spirit of the servlet spec so there would likely be
>>> resistance to such changes from the Tomcat community.
>>>
>>> One option would be for Debian to use external entities for the
>>> configurable elements and place the file that defines those entities
>>> somewhere where users can edit it.
>>
>>Okay, that's an interesting idea if it's possible to agree on a sane
>>set :)
>>
>>Thanks for your feedback!
>
> Another option (I think) is to use the property replacement feature. I.e.
> ${property.name} in web.xml and property.name=foo in catalina.properties
>
> The only question is if this works in web.xml which I don't recall and I
> don't have easy access to the source to check. If it doesn't work we should
> be able to fix that easily.

+1. I am sure that it works in web.xml.

Also things to note:

1) It is recommended to configure an IP filter (RemoteAddrValve) for
manager web application in its context file.

http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-8.0-doc/security-howto.html#Securing_Management_Applications

2) It should be possible to shadow (override) WEB-INF/web.xml of an
application by configuring a <PreResources> element in its context
file,

http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-8.0-doc/config/resources.html

3) You can rename the application, configure it, pack into a war and
upload via the default manager app.

The name of the manager application does not matter. It can be renamed.

(If you are running with java SecurityManager enabled, it will require
additional configuration in policy file, and to configure context file
for the application).

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko