Hello,
we use an embedded Tomcat and are trying to update from version 7.0.40 to 7.0.61. The the embedded tomcat instance starts up fine and our webapp is also running. However we get the following warning:

Apr 28, 2015 8:58:58 AM org.apache.catalina.startup.Tomcat getWebappConfigFileFromJar
WARNING: Unable to determine web application context.xml webapp-name
java.io.FileNotFoundException: webapp-name (System cannot find file)
        at java.util.zip.ZipFile.<init>(ZipFile.java:215)
        at java.util.zip.ZipFile.<init>(ZipFile.java:145)
        at java.util.jar.JarFile.<init>(JarFile.java:153)
        at java.util.jar.JarFile.<init>(JarFile.java:117)
at org.apache.catalina.startup.Tomcat.getWebappConfigFileFromJar(Tomcat.java:1162) at org.apache.catalina.startup.Tomcat.getWebappConfigFile(Tomcat.java:1140)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Tomcat.addWebapp(Tomcat.java:543)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Tomcat.addWebapp(Tomcat.java:524)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Tomcat.addWebapp(Tomcat.java:206)

(Notice, that "webapp-name" is not the actual name and "System cannot find file" is a translation of the original German message)

Our start-up process looks like this:

this.tomcat = new Tomcat();
this.tomcat.setBaseDir(".");
this.tomcat.getHost().setAutoDeploy(false);
this.tomcat.getHost().setDeployOnStartup(false);
this.tomcat.setPort(port);
final StandardContext webAppCtx = (StandardContext) this.tomcat.addWebapp("/weppapp-name", "webapp-name");

The directory structure looks like this, while working directory is "Application-Home": /Application-Home/webapps/webapp-name

We noticed that in Tomcat.getWebappConfigFileFromJar(Tomcat.java:1162), there is the following code:
 protected URL getWebappConfigFile(String path, String url) {
        File docBase = new File(path);
        if (docBase.isDirectory()) {
            return getWebappConfigFileFromDirectory(docBase, url);
        } else {
            return getWebappConfigFileFromJar(docBase, url);
        }
    }

The parameter "path" is "webapp-name" and the parameter "url" is "/webapp-name". With the working dir being "Application-Home", new File(path) will resolve to "/Application-Home/webapp-name", which does not exist. Hence, Tomcat is proceeding to load the config file from a jar file, which leads to the warning mentioned above.

My questions are:
- What are the correct parameters for Tomcat.addWebapp(String contextPath, String docBase)? - Is there a special working directory expected, while using an embedded Tomcat?

Thanks in advance for any support,
Benjamin Rogge