Andrea,

On 4/29/15 4:14 PM, Andrea Freire wrote:
> excuse me I have a little problem with the tomcat7 installation.
> The tomcat7 install with apt-get for a opengeosuite-server
> installer in a chroot with ubuntu environment, the problem is when
> I want to start the service in the chroot console it throws me a
> message:
>
> * tomcat7 is not installed
>
> I change the /var/lib/tomcat7 an /usr/share/tomcat7 folders owner
> to tomcat7 because there was with root as owner in the folders in
> the chroot environment in the past this resolve the problem in a
> tipical installing and change the CATALINA_BASE an CATALINA_HOME in
> the start script in the /etc/init.d/tomcat7 with the folders in the
> chroot environment.
>
> In the beginning the message when I execute the command service
> tomcat7 start doesn't throws me nothing, all was normal but I can´t
> see the web page or the service running from another machine. I see
> that the link to the folder /var/lib/tomcat7 in the chroot
> environment doesn´t go to a file inside the chroot I change that to
> the ubication inside the chroot then began with the problem.

What you have to understand about chroot is that 100% of what you need
to launch your process needs to be available *inside* the chroot'd
environment.

So, if you need to chroot to /var/tomcat/chroot, then you are going to
need a directory at /var/tomcat/chroot/var/lib/tomcat7 containing
whatever files you expected to be there.

Have you had Tomcat working in a chroot'd environment in the past?
I've had a nightmare of a time trying to get a JVM to launch within a
chroot'd environment because it needs to many support libraries, etc.
available just to start. Once the JVM can launch within the chroot'd
environment, getting Tomcat to work should be trivial: just move
everything Tomcat needs into the chroot root-dir (likely a
subdirectory of this, actually) and you should be fine.

As for launching Tomcat within the chroot'd environment from a service
script, your service script needs to execute the "chroot" command and
then give a command to run once the chroot() system call has
completed. Presumably, that command will be
"/path/to/tomcat/bin/catalina.sh start". The /path/to/tomcat should be
relative to the chroot's root, and both CATALINA_BASE and
CATALINA_HOME should also be relative to the chroot's root directory.

Hope that helps,