Brian,

On 4/21/15 3:21 PM, Brian Jones wrote:
> Chris, thanks for getting back to me!
>
>>> I'm trying to override the default cookie name (JSESSIONID) for
>>> one of my Tomcat7 instances. I put the following in
>>> $catalina_home/conf/context.xml:
>>>
>>> <Context sessionCookieName="MyCookie">
>>
>> That will change the session cookie name for all applications
>> deployed on the server, and not just one web application. Is that
>> what you wanted ?
>
> Yes, this is what I'm after. I'm working on an enterprise
> application which is comprised of over 70 webapps all working
> together. I need to change it for everything, as they all obey a
> single cookie.
>
>>> However, after restarting Tomcat, the setting isn't being
>>> applied; the cookie always remains as JSESSIONID rather than
>>> MyCookie.
>>>
>>> My environment is: tomcat 7.0.39, java 1.7.0_79, kubuntu
>>> 14.10.
>>>
>>> Can anyone shed some light on how/where
>>> $catalina_home/conf/context.xml is loaded? Or any ideas,
>>> suggestions, etc are appreciated.
>>
>> I would have expected what you did to work. Do you have a
>> separate CATALINA_BASE as well as a CATALINA_HOME? If so, the
>> CATALINA_BASE/conf/context.xml will *completely override* the one
>> in CATALINA_HOME/conf/context.xml.
>
> I don't believe so, output from ./shutdown.sh:
>
> Using CATALINA_BASE:   /opt/apache-tomcat-7.0.39 Using
> CATALINA_OWL:   /opt/apache-tomcat-7.0.39 Using CATALINA_TMPDIR:
> /opt/apache-tomcat-7.0.39/temp Using JRE_HOME:
> /usr/lib/jvm/java-7-openjdk-amd64 Using CLASSPATH:
> /opt/apache-tomcat-7.0.39/bin/bootstrap.jar:/opt/apache-tomcat-7.0.39/
bin/tomcat-juli.jar

>> It would probably be better to set the configuration in your web
>> application's META-INF/context.xml file. Give that a try and see
>> if it gives you the desired effect.
>
> The problem with doing this, is that as the application is open
> source, modifying each subtool's context.xml would fork me from the
> community.
>
> The only reason I'm trying to accomplish this, is because I have
> two versions of the application running in two different Tomcats;
> one is the community version, one is my institution's
> localized/modifyied version. I need to be able to run both
> simultaneously for comparison purposes.
>
> However, because both Tomcats/applications are using the same
> JSESSIONID as the cookie name, if I start a session on one Tomcat,
> it invalidates the session on the other.
>
> Anything else you can think of? Do you perhaps know how/where
> Tomcat is loading up the $catalina_home/conf/context.xml file? If
> that is known, I can perhaps modify (hack) it to point explicitly
> to the context.xml file that I have the sessionCookieName set.

Sorry for the delayed response.

I just wanted you to try to configure using META-INF/context.xml to
see if that made the difference. That test will determine whether this
is a bug in Tomcat (the feature doesn't work) or if Tomcat does not
allow certain things to be overridden locally (e.g. the cookie name)
and therefore this is an enhancement.

I rather think that your expectations are reasonable, so assuming it's
not a bug, I'm +1 for supporting site-wide cookie-name changes.