André,

On 4/30/15 2:39 PM, André Warnier wrote:
> Christopher Schultz wrote:
>>
>> Paul,
>>
>> On 4/30/15 3:24 AM, Paul Klinkenberg wrote:
>>> I never knew the remote_addr could not be trusted, but I
>>> believe you at once when you say so.
>>>
>>> I thought it was taken from the actual socket connection. With
>>> the exception of ajp by the way, where it is programmatically
>>> changed to reflect the remote client while handling the http
>>> call. Out of curiosity, could you shed some light as to why the
>>> remote_addr is not to be trusted in a regular http request?
>>
>> The client can spoof the source IP in the packet headers.
>>

> This is not on-topic, but since the point has been raised, and
> since there are many smart people on this list..
>
> I am probably not very clever in a hacking kind of way, but I have
> never been able to figure out how a client could make use of this
> to actually achieve something with TCP. Setting up a TCP connection
> requires a couple of packet exchanges *back and forth*. So, the
> client can indeed send a first SYN packet to a server, with a
> spoofed origin IP address. But then the server would return the
> ACK packet to that spoofed IP address, which is presumably not the
> real client's one, wouldn't it ? What good would that be to the
> malevolent client ? Unless the point is only to flood a server's
> TCP stack with connection requests which never can get completed..
> If anyone has a clue as to how this can be really exploited, I'm
> eager to learn.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IP_address_spoofing

The "Background" section mentions your point.

Doing this with SSL is not really possible, unless the attacker
controls a part of the network through which all packets flow, and can
intercept packets regardless of their destination. If the attacker is
on your network, of course, it's already over.