I think it's because that you just enabled the "Auto Build" feature of
eclipse, so every time you changed your java source, eclipse built it
for you, and tomcat saw the class files changed and then reloaded that
context. But when you metioned "for my production", I guess that
machine do not have an eclipse and you just replaced the java source
without compiling it to /WEB-INF/classes and thus tomcat won't reload
your context. Did I get it?