On 09/06/2015 14:38, Kevin Hale Boyes wrote:
> I'm having trouble figuring out what protocol to use for a <Connector>.
> I'm using Tomcat 8 and Java 8.
>
> The production system that Tomcat will be running on is Solaris 11 and I'm
> not yet sure if I'll be able to build the tomcat native library.
> So, I'm choosing between the Http11NioProtocol and Http11Nio2Protocol but I
> can't figure out what the difference is.
>
> I'll have two connectors defined - one SSL and the other non-SSL.
> The non-SSL connector services user traffic in my web application with the
> SSL session being terminated at the coyote load balancer.
> The SSL connector services B2B traffic and it's set up for client
> authentication.
>

> I've seen the Connector Comparison chart but that doesn't really help.
> The only difference seems to be that Nio uses simulated blocking.
> A bit of searching seems to compare it against the blocking connector only.
>
> So, I'm asking for help in understanding what the difference is between the
> two connector protocols and how to choose the best one for my application.

There is very little to choose between them. Implementing an NIO2
connector was the only way to find out if there were any noticeable
performance benefits or not (there weren't). Very long term (maybe
Tomcat 10 onwards) one of NIO and NIO2 may get dropped but I think we
are several years away from even thinking about that.

Right now, I'd say go with NIO. It has been around longer and should -
in theory at least - be a little more stable.

Mark