From: Jerry Malcolm [mailto:techst...@malcolms.com]
Subject: OT: Random Form Resubmissions

I have written defensive code in my webapp to detect this situation and
handle it.  So it's not a critical problem now. But it just frustrates
me that I have no clue what is going on.  And I'm curious if the users
are seeing something strange as this is occurring.  It appears that the
client's browser is holding onto the form and just randomly resending it
the server without the user's knowledge.  And it finally stops when they
close their browser or reboot their computer.  I know this makes zero sense.

This sounds like a lot of fun.

HAH!! I was thinking the exact same thing :)

Can you tell from the logs (or doing some traceroute runs) if there's anything
in common about the clients?  Things such as a small set of origins (e.g., PRC,
NK, AOL, NSA) or client environment (iOS, Android, IE7) might give a clue.

I wonder if some intermediary box thinks it's being useful by trying to get
client lost interest and disconnected a long time ago.

The comment:
"And it finally stops when they close their browser or reboot their computer." has me thinking, proxy/internet security software on the system doing it? Or a browser extension. But why and what eludes me.

  - Chuck

attachments from all computers.