+1 here. This would be nice to have a standard way to manage different logical
versions of the same webapp to handle split-braining client and server code.
That's my million dollar problem.

So, the idea floated by this fine group of list participants was to deploy and
use cookies that a reverse proxy would decode to send your users to different
back ends. That only gets you halfway to where you're going. Say you have
version 1.0 and 1.1. Any patches not requiring reload could be deployed with
#001,#002, but you would need to deploy two or more of the same webapp to get
different urls: /webapp-1.0 and /webapp-1.1. The whole idea of the parallel
deployment is to get the old version of the webapp undeployed asap. If you have
different logical versions that need to remain... Well, using the management
servlet you can programmatically undeploy your obsolete webapps at your
leisure.

I'm sure there's always a better idea lurking around out there though.

CG