Ignacio,

On 9/10/15 6:01 PM, Ignacio Barragan wrote:
> I have Tomcat 7.0.42 on a Windows 2008R2 server.  I’m pretty new to
> Tomcat.
>
> It uses Java JDK and is configured with a standard JSSE SSL
> certificate. How do I upgrade Java on an existing Tomcat server?
> All the documentation is for configuring new installations.

Generally, Tomcat doesn't care about the JVM installed -- it will use
whatever is there. But it may depend upon how you launch Tomcat. If
you are using a Windows Service to launch Tomcat, you'll need to point
the service at the new JVM.

> I can repeat the whole installation routine and install JDK in a
> new directory and go through the whole thing….create keystore,
> request new certificate etc. but that then I would have two
> certificates for the same machine?

You shouldn't need to do any of that at all. Java keystores are
compatible across all versions of Java, and Tomcat already knows where
the keystore is (right?). That Java keystore should be independent of
the JVM installation.

Can you post your <Connector> from server.xml, just to be sure?
Remember to remove any sensitive information like passwords, etc.

> Keytool has an export command, is that what this is for?  If anyone
> has experience in this and can guide me on the best pseudo code
> method to upgrade Java using keystore SSL on an existing Tomcat 7
> server, that would be great.
>
> The same issue goes for upgrading from Tomcat 7.0.42 to Tomcat
> 7.0.64.   Do I do  a complete de-install and re-install of the new
> Tomcat version and repeat all the configurations or can you upgrade
> Tomcat in place from the same series version to another one?

I would highly recommend installing to a new directory. This will make
it much easier to "downgrade" if you need to for some reason.