On 07/10/2015 10:37 AM, "Mark Bramer" <mbra...@esri.com> wrote:

> Hi list,
>
> I just signed up to the list - please forgive any newb mistakes but
hopefully I'm following the right format, style and content.

> I currently work in a production environment with eight app servers, all
running the same version of Tomcat (currently 7.0.62).  Four servers
support version 1 of our app, the other four servers support version 2.
Within each group of four, two serve completely open content via 80, the
other two support queries of sensitive data via 443.  Servers are named
with a number system where all odd-named servers are for the secure
content, all evens are open.

> So here's the setup in a hopefully clearer portrayal:
>
> App Version 1:
> Server 01: secure queries via 443
> Server 02: open content via 80
> Server 03: secure queries via 443
> Server 04: open content via 80
>
> App Version 2:
> Server 05: secure queries via 443
> Server 06: open content via 80
> Server 07: secure queries via 443
> Server 08: open content via 80
>
> Each pair of even and odd named servers are *conceptually* linked, but
physically stand on their own.  All http traffic and https traffic for each
version is directed to a particular server by a load balancer.  No Apache
Web Server is in the mix and we would like to keep it that way for
simplicity.  Load-wise, our eight Tomcats are not taxed.

> I'm responsible for upkeep of these servers, which requires regular
version upgrades and configuration changes when any vulnerability is found
by regular, periodic Nessus scans (
http://www.tenable.com/products/nessus-vulnerability-scanner).  Sometimes
the changes are related to ciphers, sometimes other things, but I'd say 90%
of the time, I just need to upgrade to a newer version.

> So no big deal conceptually, I fully admit, but doing this across eight
servers is TEDIOUS.  And more importantly, it's a ripe opportunity for
introducing user error.  On three occasions I have brought our production
systems by stupid mistakes in server.xml or other config files, or most
recently, accidentally copying the wrong ROOT from a version 2 (05) box
into the version one boxes (01 and 03). I got things up and running fine
with no serious consequences but this being the third time, I thought
"there has to be a better way" right after I talked myself off the "you're
a complete idiot" ledge.

> I'm starting to research Tomcat clustering but everything I see just
talks about load balancing and failover.  **What about ease of
configuration??** I'd like to be able to set up Tomcat <something>
(clusters?) to help automate what I've described above to make it less
tedious and reduce the chances of making stupid mistakes when I'm on the
6th, 7th, 8th server.  I'm not sure if Tomcat clustering is what I need, or
if I should look at something else.

> Can you nice folks help direct me to where I should look for starters?
Will Tomcat clustering get me what I want?  or something else, like
Zookeeper?

Sounds like you should start using configuration manager like Puppet, Chef
etc. We use Ansible and pretty happy with it.