Andre,
Chris,

On 20.11.2015 9:30, André Warnier (tomcat) wrote:
I think that may be the only way to do it. IIRC, someone did some work
to allow Filters to be used in the valve chain, but I don't think there
is any facility for specifying <url-pattern>s for those.

Or, you could switch from container-based AAA, to application-based AAA.
You can create a servlet filter which "wraps" your application(s), and
in it apply any rules you want.  This is totally portable, not
Tomcat-specific, and doesn't require any change to server.xml for
instance (nor to your application).

Thank you both for looking into this.

Ok, so it is a choice, either
- move RemoteAddrFilter to become a Realm in front of Authenticator Valve, or
- move Authenticator valve to become a Filter behind RemoteAddrFilter.

To avoid having to redo what others have already done, you may also want
to have a look at : http://tuckey.org/urlrewrite/manual/3.0/#filterparams
      see : <condition> element
            --> remote-addr  (for instance)

(I'm not saying that urlrewrite fills /all/ your needs, but you could
combine urlrewrite with some simple code of your own, to fill all your
needs. (snip)).

This part I don't get. What is the added value of using urlrewrite compared to RemoteAddrFilter? It is basically the same functionality?

-Ognjen