On 01.12.2015 18:30, Jerry Malcolm wrote:
I'm looking for a way to detect that the current session has expired (or logged
out via
another tab on the browser).  I know I could just issue dummy requests to the
server and
see if a login page comes back.  But issuing requests automatically resets the
session
timer. I need a benign way to query that doesn't keep the session alive forever.

I'm sure this problem has been solved before.  But basically, I want to know
that the
session is no longer valid and force the user back to the login page.

Isn't that what the standard authentication code does ? (or could do ?)

  I know one
possibility is to set the Tomcat timer to 30 min expiration, and then keep a
'29 minute'
timer running in the browser. But my clients can change the tomcat session
timer length.
And also this doesn't account for a logoff using the same session on a
different browser
tab.  I'd really like a pro-active query method if anything like that exists.

Suggestion?

Thanks.

Jerry