> I want to have more control over what data is written to the various
> appenders in the log4j.properties files. I have played around with the
> various configurations in the log4j.properties file but I am not
> understanding how they are working in order to grasp how to have more
> control. I don't know if it would be a matter of turning off the INFO
> setting for the log4j.rootLogger and somehow setting individual logging for
> each appender.
>
> Below is my environment details:
> 1) The tomcat version that is running is v8.0.26.0
> 2) The OS is a Centos v7 UNIX VM
> 3) Java JDK I have installed that Tomcat is using is 1.8.0_60
> 4) Due to the catalina.out file growing too large with the default
> juli.AsyncFileHandler using the logging.properties file that was found in
> the $CATALINA_HOME/conf directory. I changed the settings on a vendors
> software to use the log4j logging instead. (So this is NOT my web
> application or product written by me.)

None of AsyncFileHandler is responsible for catalina.out.

The catalina.out file consumes output of ConsoleHandler.

> log4j;logger.org.apache.catalina.core,ContainerBase.[Catalina].[localhost].[/cfcc]=INFO,
CFCC

The above line has a typo. s/;/./ after "log4j"

> <...>

You need to set "additivity" flag for non-root loggers to false.
I have not tested, but I think it will be like this:

log4j.additivity.org.apache.catalina.core,ContainerBase.[Catalina].[localhost].[/cfcc]=false
log4j.additivity.org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.[Catalina].[localhost]=false
log4j.additivity.org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.[Catalina].[localhost].[/manager]=false
log4j.additivity.org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.[Catalina].[localhost].[/host-manager]=false

Documentation for Log4j 1.x:
[1] http://logging.apache.org/log4j/1.2/

Guide:
[2] http://logging.apache.org/log4j/1.2/manual.html