> Hello Devs,
>
> My team currently uses tomcat8 to serve our Scala application developed
> using lift. Our application uses comet to send real time data from the
> server to the client.
>
> Unfortunately we noticed that in the new release of tomcat - tomcat9,
> comet is no longer supported because
>

>   *
>
>     Web Sockets is already far more popular (based on question volume on
> the users list)
>
>   *
>
>     Comet support adds a fair amount of complexity to the connector code
>
> Though, web sockets might be more popular, but there are frameworks that
> rely solely on comet for real time features. Some frameworks like lift
> don't support web sockets and most lift developers serve their
> applications through tomcat.
>
> We would appreciate if support for comet is restored in the next release.
>
> If you're looking at Tomcat 9, then you can notice the additional "non
blocking / async" IO from Servlet 3.1 is a straight superset of the Tomcat
comet API [it adds "non blocking" writes] and works either with the
straight HTTP or after a HTTP upgrade. It would be time to update the
framework since having the two APIs really added useless complexity, and
this is not going to be added back.

Rémy