From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of
Brian Vuyk
Sent: Wednesday, June 07, 2006 6:59 PM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Re: Random NullPointerException when trying to connect to
Datasource

Thank you for your reply.

Unfortunately, no, I did not. I have checked my JSP over a few times,
and as far as I can tell, the syntax is correct.

Also, this error does not occur only in a specific page - no
connection to the databse works, regardless of the page.

On 6/7/06, Vijaya <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Did you by chance miss any quotes while correcting the typo of the
> displayed text?
>
> Vijaya

for
> > > servlet jsp threw exception
> > > javax.servlet.jsp.JspException: Unable to get connection,
DataSource
> > > invalid: "java.lang.NullPointerException"
> > >         at

org.apache.taglibs.standard.tag.common.sql.QueryTagSupport.getConnection
> (QueryTagSupport.java:276)
> > >         at

org.apache.taglibs.standard.tag.common.sql.QueryTagSupport.doStartTag(Qu
> eryTagSupport.java:159)
> > >         at

org.apache.jsp.jsp.authenticate_jsp._jspx_meth_sql_query_0(authenticate_
> jsp.java:286)
> > >         at

org.apache.jsp.jsp.authenticate_jsp._jspService(authenticate_jsp.java:11
> 0)
> > >         at
> org.apache.jasper.runtime.HttpJspBase.service(HttpJspBase.java:94)
> > >         at
> javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:802)
> > >         at

org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.service(JspServletWrapper.ja
> va:324)
> > >         at

org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.serviceJspFile(JspServlet.java:292)
> > >         at
> org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java:236)
> > >         at
> javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:802)
> > >         at

> tionFilterChain.java:237)
> > >         at

> erChain.java:157)
> > >         at

> e.java:214)
> > >         at

org.apache.catalina.core.StandardValveContext.invokeNext(StandardValveCo
> ntext.java:104)
> > >         at

org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invoke(StandardPipeline.java:5
> 20)
> > >         at

org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invokeInternal(StandardCon
> textValve.java:198)
> > >         at

> e.java:152)
> > >         at

org.apache.catalina.core.StandardValveContext.invokeNext(StandardValveCo
> ntext.java:104)
> > >         at

org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invoke(StandardPipeline.java:5
> 20)
> > >         at

> :137)
> > >         at

org.apache.catalina.core.StandardValveContext.invokeNext(StandardValveCo
> ntext.java:104)
> > >         at

> :117)
> > >         at

org.apache.catalina.core.StandardValveContext.invokeNext(StandardValveCo
> ntext.java:102)
> > >         at

org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invoke(StandardPipeline.java:5
> 20)
> > >         at

> java:109)
> > >         at

org.apache.catalina.core.StandardValveContext.invokeNext(StandardValveCo
> ntext.java:104)
> > >         at

org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invoke(StandardPipeline.java:5
> 20)
> > >         at
> org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.invoke(ContainerBase.java:929)
> > >         at

org.apache.coyote.tomcat5.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:160)
> > >         at

org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.process(Http11Processor.java:79
> 9)
> > >         at

org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol$Http11ConnectionHandler.processC
> onnection(Http11Protocol.java:705)
> > >         at

org.apache.tomcat.util.net.TcpWorkerThread.runIt(PoolTcpEndpoint.java:57
> 7)
> > >         at

> .java:683)

> ------------------------
> > >

> > > Version Information:

> -----------
> > > Tomcat 5.5.17

> -----------
> > > mySQL:
> > > mysql> status
> > > --------------
> > > mysql  Ver 14.7 Distrib 4.1.19, for pc-linux-gnu (i686) using
> readline 5.1
> > >
> > > Connection id:          1
> > > Current database:
> > > Current user:           [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > > SSL:                    Not in use
> > > Current pager:          /usr/bin/less
> > > Using outfile:          ''
> > > Using delimiter:        ;
> > > Server version:         4.1.19-log
> > > Protocol version:       10
> > > Connection:             Localhost via UNIX socket
> > > Server characterset:    utf8
> > > Db     characterset:    utf8
> > > Client characterset:    utf8
> > > Conn.  characterset:    utf8
> > > UNIX socket:            /var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock
> > > Uptime:                 2 hours 33 min 8 sec
> > >
> > > Threads: 1  Questions: 5  Slow queries: 0  Opens: 11  Flush
tables:
> 1
> > > Open tables: 5  Queries per second avg: 0.001
> > >
> > > Here is my web.xml for this application:

> -----------
> > > <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
> > > <web-app id="WebApp_ID" version="2.4"
> > > xmlns="http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/j2ee";
> > > xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance";
> > > xsi:schemaLocation="http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/j2ee
> > > http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/j2ee/web-app_2_4.xsd";>
> > >         <display-name>
> > >         Takedown App</display-name>
> > >         <welcome-file-list>
> > >                 <welcome-file>index.jsp</welcome-file>
> > >         </welcome-file-list>
> > >
> > >         <!-- Database connection info start -->
> > >
> > >         <context-param>
> > >                 <param-name>
> > >                         javax.servlet.jsp.jstl.sql.dataSource
> > >                 </param-name>
> > >                 <param-value>

jdbc:mysql://localhost:3306/takedowns,com.mysql.jdbc.Driver,takedown,pas