Rallavagu,

On 1/19/16 6:14 PM, Rallavagu wrote:

> On 1/19/16 2:43 PM, Mark Thomas wrote:
>> On 19/01/2016 22:36, Rallavagu wrote:
>>> Also, it could be keep-alive for client connection as well. In any case,
>>> how long a keep-alive connection will be in this state by default?
>>> Thanks.
>>
>> This behaviour is entirely normal. Why are you concerned about it?
>
> I was analyzing thread dump as the application experiences sudden high
> response times and eventually becomes normal.
>

>> Regarding how long the thread will be in this state, the default
>> keep-alive timeout for the HTTP BIO connector can be found in the
>> documentation.
>> (Yes, I do happen to know what it is but think of this as an exercise
>> for the reader.)
>
> From the documentation keepAliveTimeout defaults to connectionTimeout.
>

> "The number of milliseconds this Connector will wait, after accepting a
> connection, for the request URI line to be presented. Use a value of -1
> to indicate no (i.e. infinite) timeout. The default value is 60000 (i.e.
> 60 seconds) but note that the standard server.xml that ships with Tomcat
> sets this to 20000 (i.e. 20 seconds). Unless disableUploadTimeout is set
> to false, this timeout will also be used when reading the request body
> (if any)."

You might want to consider switching to an NIO-based connector. The
NIO-based connectors do not block a request-processing thread during the
keep-alive wait time, so fewer threads can handle the same number of
actual incoming requests (instead of waiting-around potentially doing no
additional work).

You may still have a response-time problem after that, but it won't be
due to the threading model.

If your load-balancer configured to maintain keep-alive connections to
your Tomcat instance(s)? If so, what are the details of that configuration?

-chris