Thank you Christoph,

I installed a compiled version from the distros on my production servers
and I installed the binary version from
http://tomcat.apache.org/download-native.cgi
on my development server.

A slight problem is that when I install from the distros I don't have
control of the version and therefore there is a slight mismatch between my
development and production environments (development version: Apache Tomcat
Native Library 1.1.34 using APR 1.5.1, production version: Apache Tomcat
Native Library 1.1.33 using APR 1.5.1)

Thank you