We are also using Tomcat 5 and Oracle 10g, but we don't have to use
tnsnames, just a service name.  Your commented out code uses a SID format,
and you are trying to use a TNS entry format.  Try something like:

<Resource name='jdbc/diamond9'
   auth='Container'
   type='javax.sql.DataSource'
   driverClassName='oracle.jdbc.OracleDriver'
url='jdbc:oracle:thin:@//poseidon.interfast.ca:1521/develop.interf
ast.ca'
   username='tomcat' password='noway'
   defaultAutoCommit='false'
   maxActive='10' maxIdle='2' maxWait='1000' minIdle='1'
/>

The syntax for url is
jdbc:oracle:thin:@//{hostname or ip}:{listenerPort}/{service name}

I also noticed that you are using a deprecated classname for the Oracle
Driver.  The current class name is oracle.jdbc.OracleDriver  (not
oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleDriver)

FYI:
http://www.oracle.com/technology/tech/java/sqlj_jdbc/htdocs/jdbc_faq_0.htm

specifically:
http://www.oracle.com/technology/tech/java/sqlj_jdbc/htdocs/jdbc_faq_0.htm#05_04

and for the classname:
http://forums.oracle.com/forums/ann.jspa?annID=201

Actually, looking at the faq, the url in your commented out code should
still work. {host}:{port}:{SID}, unless your Listener is now a cluster or
something that makes the SID no longer applicable.

(Still the TNS names for should still work)

I HTH,

Brian