Msh,

On 2/14/16 3:25 PM, m...@kimwana.com wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 11, 2016 at 02:17:38PM -0500, m...@kimwana.com wrote:
>
>     <Connector port="80" enableLookups="false"
>            redirectPort="443" />
>
>     <Connector port="443" SSLEnabled="true" acceptCount="100"
> clientAuth="false"
>         disableUploadTimeout="true" enableLookups="false" maxThreads="25"
>         keystoreFile="/opt/tomcat/conf/keystore/dishwater.jks"
> keystorePass="ImFr3eZ1inG"
>         protocol="org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11NioProtocol" scheme="https"
>         secure="true" sslProtocol="TLS" />
>
> It works! Requests to port 80 area sent to 443, and there's no need
> to append a non-standard port!

Correct. jsvc allows you to bind to low-numbered ports because jsvc runs
with elevated privileges.

> The counterintuitive bit for me is, port 443 is seemingly configured
> twice.

How so?

> No need for iptables or httpd! Woot!

jsvc offers better features, too, such as being able to re-start the
service if it goes down unexpectedly, rotating stdout/stderr streams, etc.

A reverse-proxy such as httpd is never necessary unless you want to do
load-balancing. Especially when properly-configured, Tomcat can serve
static content just as fast as Apache httpd.

-chris