Perhaps I am overlooking something, but the documentation for AJP [1] states
for "protocol"

<quote>
The standard protocol value for an AJP connector is AJP/1.3 which uses an
auto-switching mechanism to select either a Java based connector or an
APR/native based connector. If the PATH (Windows) or LD_LIBRARY_PATH (on most
unix systems) environment variables contain the Tomcat native library, the
native/APR connector will be used. If the native library cannot be found, the
Java based connector will be used.
</quote>

The text above doesn't describe what is the auto-selected protocol when a Java
based connector is selected. My guess is that
"org.apache.coyote.ajp.AjpNioProtocol" will be auto-selected since BIO is on
its way out but since the documentation doesn't explicitly state it, it leaves
the reader to wonder.

George

[1] https://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-7.0-doc/config/ajp.html