On 3/31/16, 2:30 PM, Christopher Schultz wrote:

Wild Googling has produced this page:
http://www.texas400.com/b400tip16.html

...which claims that priority *30* is the same as "interactive".

Something tells me that it's going to come down to a matter of opinion
what exact priority should be used. But OS processes should probably
get higher priority than daemons, Tomcat included.

I've been dealing with IBM Midrange Systems for close to 22 years, and up until today, I'd never heard of "texas400.com" or David Mount.

I'm still waiting for a response from the Midrange.com gurus on a succinct, to-the-point, straight-from-the-equine-masticatory-orifice document on normal job priorities, but I can tell you, we've never futzed with them on our production box, and here's an annotated sample from a WRKACTJOB screen:
Subsystem/Job  Type  Pool  Pty
QBASE          SBS     2    0  This is a subsystem.
  AUTHSERVER   BCH     2   50  This is part of a simple web service.
  CATALINA     BCH     2   50  This is the CATALINA job for Tomcat.
  JAMESL00     INT     3   20  This is my terminal session.
  POWERMON2    BCH     2   50  This job checks for power outages.
  QJVACMDSRV   BCI     2   50  This is the JVM for AUTHSERVER.
  QP0ZSPWT     BCI     2    6  This is the JVM for CATALINA (Tomcat).
  QSYSSCD      BCH     3   20
  THINSERVER   BCH     2   50  These are a couple of non-Java servers,
  WTCPCHILD    BCH     2   50  both of them running as batch jobs.
QHTTPSVR       SBS     2    0  Another subsystem.
  ADMIN        BCI     2   25  This is the system's admin web server.
QSYSWRK        SBS     2    0  Another subsystem.
  CRTPFRDTA    BCH     2   50  Some misc. system batch jobs.
  QGLDPUBA     ASJ     2   50
  QGLDPUBE     ASJ     2   50
  QHTTP        BCH     2   10
  QJOBLOGSVR   BCH     2   40
  QJVACMDSRV   BCI     2   50  More JVMs
  QJVAEXEC     BCI     2   50
  QMSF         BCH     2   35
  QSQSRVR      PJ      2   20  These are system jobs for SQL access.
  QSQSRVR      PJ      2    1  Note that the priorities vary.
  QSQSRVR      PJ      2   10
  QSQSRVR      PJ      2   10
  QSQSRVR      PJ      2   10

The general rule-of-thumb based on what I've seen is that subsystems always run at 0, batch jobs tend to run at 50, interactive jobs tend to run at 20, and jobs that are initiated by the operating system can vary over a wide range.

FWIW, IBM handles timesharing rather differently from the way most other manufacturers handle it: terminals, terminal controllers, and terminal emulators are expected to handle individual keystrokes without any CPU attention whatsoever, and jobs only get CPU timeslices when there is processing to be done. And so timeslices tend to be measured in full seconds (but end immediately as soon as it's necessary to wait for user interaction).

--
JHHL