> Hi all,
>
> (I post in this list since I downloaded from tomcat.apache.org. If there is a
> more appropriate list, off course I will try overthere)
>
> 1 - Downloaded the taglibs from
> http://tomcat.apache.org/download-taglibs.cgi#Standard-1.2.5

The "verify" word on above page links to a detailed instruction,
https://www.apache.org/info/verification.html

> 2 - Downloaded the PGP signatures for the files
> 2 - Downloaded KEYS. (The pgp public keys from the releaser(s)  of the files)
> 3 - Imported the keys into gpg:
> martijn@radijs:~/external_documents/Downloads$ gpg --import KEYS
> gpg: sleutel A7A0233C: publieke sleutel "Jeremy Boynes <jboy...@apache.org>"
> geïmporteerd
> gpg:           Totaal aantal verwerkt: 1
> gpg:                     geïmporteerd: 1  (RSA: 1)
> martijn@radijs:~/external_documents/Downloads$
>
> 4 - checked the signature of the downloaded files:
> martijn@radijs:~/external_documents/Downloads$ gpg
> taglibs-standard-impl-1.2.5.jar.asc

The above verification command is wrong. You must specify 2 file
arguments to gpg --verify.  See the verification.html page that I
mentioned above.

> gpg: gegevens in `taglibs-standard-impl-1.2.5.jar' worden verondersteld
> ondertekend te zijn
> gpg: Ondertekening gemaakt op di 10 mrt 2015 17:11:32 CET met RSA sleutel-ID
> A7A0233C
> gpg: Goede handtekening van "Jeremy Boynes <jboy...@apache.org>"
> gpg: Noot: Deze sleutel is vervallen!
> Vingerafdruk van de primaire sleutel: 8B46 CA49 EF48 37B8 C7F2  92DA A54A
> D08E A7A0 233C
>
> It's in dutch :-)

Executing the below command before the above one should switch it to English.
LANG=C

Maybe it also needs  export LANG, I do not remember.

> The message is telling me that the file is signed by key A7A0233C
> (I never did sign this key myself..there is no trust..so gpg also tells me
> that)
> Then gpg tells me "This key is expired"!!!
>
> I'm not sure what to think of this...Is this a problem, or am I just to
> paranoid?
>
> Can anyone shine his/her light on this.

$ gpg --list-keys A7A0233C

pub   2048R/A7A0233C 2012-02-25 [expired: 2016-02-25]
uid                  Jeremy Boynes <jboy...@apache.org>

1. Binaries released and signed before February 2016 are OK.

2. Jeremy needs to do something with his key before signing a next
release (if there ever be one).
As said elsewhere, it is possible to change expiration date of a key
without a need to generate a new one,

http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/177291/how-to-renew-an-expired-keypair-with-gpg

http://superuser.com/questions/813421/can-you-extend-the-expiration-date-of-an-already-expired-gpg-key

https://help.riseup.net/en/security/message-security/openpgp/best-practices#use-an-expiration-date-less-than-two-years