Thanks Andre. I am not aware of any proxy in our network. I am pretty sure
the request is directly coming to Apache. I am trying to understand the
httpd.conf file. There are several RewriteRule's and redirects.  Here is
the virtual host configuration.

ServerName www.xxx.com
WSGIProcessGroup web2py
WSGIScriptAlias / /opt/web-apps/web2py/wsgihandler.py
WSGIPassAuthorization On

<Directory /opt/web-apps/web2py>
AllowOverride None
Order Allow,Deny
Deny from all
<Files wsgihandler.py>
Allow from all
</Files>
</Directory>

        AliasMatch ^/([^/]+)/static/(?:_[\d]+.[\d]+.[\d]+/)?(.*) \
                /opt/web-apps/web2py/applications/$1/static/$2

<Directory /opt/web-apps/web2py/applications/*/static>
Options -Indexes
Order Allow,Deny
Allow from all
</Directory>

<Location /admin>
Deny from all
</Location>

<LocationMatch ^/([^/]+)/appadmin>
Deny from all
</LocationMatch>

CustomLog /var/log/httpd/access_log common
ErrorLog /var/log/httpd/error_log