On Thu, May 19, 2016 at 11:47 PM, Yuval Schwartz <yuval.schwa...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Thanks Christopher, that's informative.
> I've decided to just manually move (via ftp) the dated files off the server
> and just clear Catalina.out (like your link says, the only unique output it
> includes is system.out/err).
>
> Eventually I will implement a more thorough logging solution.
> Let me know if you have any suggestions for something simple.

if you choose to let tomcat rotate them, you can choose to compress and
remove them when they are X days old with cron. just one solution.
something like this:

# compress rotated logs, remove 7 day old compressed logs
1 0 * * * [[ -d /path/to/logs ]]&& find /path/to/logs -maxdepth 1 -type f
-name "*.[0-9][0-9][0-9][0-9]-[0-9][0-9]-[0-9][0-9].log" -exec bzip2 '{}'
\; ; [[ -d /path/to/logs ]]&& find /path/to/logs -maxdepth 1 -type f -mtime
+7 -name "*.bz2" -exec rm -f '{}' \;

but you're probably better off using logrotate to handle this
rotate/removal logic.

-Tony