hans-joachim.kliem...@hays.de>:

> Hey,
>
> currently i'm building up a tomcat cluster and after studying the
> documentation/source some questions came up:
>
> Is it really necessary to add a LocalMember xml element to the
> StaticMembershipInterceptor?

If you do not set the LocalMember,
the implementation class of local members will become MemberImpl rather
than the StaticMember.
In addition, you can not explicitly specify the domain and the uniqueId of
local member.
If you do not mind these, there is no problem if you do not set LocalMember.

> I found a lot examples where this element was not added. FYI: we are using
> TCP and no Multicast.

This setting was introduced in r1714919,
it does not exist this setting in the examples that have been published
earlier.

> Why there are 3 points to configure a heartbeat? I don't see any reason
> for these three points, especially for TCP:
> heartbeat at channel object
> heartbeat at cluster object
> heartbeat at TcpPingInterceptor

The heartbeat is chained.
Container->Cluster->channel->Interceptor(TcpPingInterceptor)->ChannelSender
When using a static membership, TcpPingInterceptor does the nodes failure
detection.
Therefore, when using a static membership, TcpPingInterceptor is required.