Paul,

On 6/14/16 1:37 PM, paul.greene.va wrote:
> The update worked perfectly - took about 20 minutes, but mostly
> because I was being hyper-cautious.
>
> I suspected it was an easy upgrade for someone familiar with the
> product; I got thrown into it in a mad rush, no experience with
> either product (service manager or tomcat), and told to "get it
> done yesterday".
>
> Thanks for all your help.  :-)

Welcome to the community.

The first time is the scariest. I waited years before upgrading from
4.x to 5.5, 6.0, 7.0 and we only *just* performed our first production
roll-out to Tomcat 8 last month.

Once you've done it once or twice, you can be confident in what you
are doing. Let me re-phrase that: once you've broken it horribly once
or twice and worked your way through it, you *will* be reasonably
confident in what you are doing.

- -chris