> From: Mark Eggers [mailto:its_toas...@yahoo.com.INVALID]
> Subject: Re: Servlet <welcome-file-list> overridden by Apache Tomcat welcome
> page?

> I just played with Eclipse Neon (newest release). It does copy over a
> Tomcat configuration into your workspace, and then runs Tomcat from that
> (sort of like RUNNING.txt).

I thought there was some way to disable such obnoxiousness, but I don't
remember the details.

> That being said, Eclipse does not handle ROOT well at all by default. If
> I tell Maven to have a final name of ROOT, then Eclipse edits the
> workspace server.xml with:
> <Host>
> <Context docBase="CSEFive"
>    path="/ROOT"
>    reloadable="true"
>    source="org.eclipse.jst.jee.server:CSEFive"/>
> </Host>

Clearly broken.  (Also, there is no <Context> attribute of "source".)

> If I name things normally, then the application comes up as CSEFive, and
> the portion of server.xml reads as follows:
> <Host>
> <Context
>    docBase="CSEFive"
>    path="/CSEFive"
>    reloadable="true"
>    source="org.eclipse.jst.jee.server:CSEFive"/>
> </Host>

Other than the source attribute, at least that's legal.

> The only way that I know of to manage this from within Eclipse is the
> following:

> Right-mouse click on the project, and go the the following in the drop
> down menu:

> Properties->Web Project Settings

> Change the Context root to /

Strictly speaking, this isn't correct; the default webapp must have an empty
path string.

> Run your project from within Eclipse, and it will come up as
> http://localhost:8080/

That's an accident, since the path attribute is not valid.

> Eclipse will rewrite the server.xml in your workspace to:
> <Host>
> <Context
>    docBase="CSEFive"
>    path="/"
>    reloadable="true"
>    source="org.eclipse.jst.jee.server:CSEFive"/>
> </Host>

The path attribute is illegal.  You would think after this number of years,
Eclipse would at least get the syntax right.

> In any case, once you move out of an Eclipse-controlled Tomcat,

Which seems to be highly desirable, given the mess Eclipse is making.

> the WAR file needs to be named ROOT.war (case matters, even on Windows).

As Hassan previously noted.

> You'll need to move Tomcat's default ROOT web application to another
> location.

Or just delete it.

> In short, it's an Eclipse artifact.

A seriously broken artifact.