The problem is with java8 support in ECJ, not tomcat directly. You
need at least JDT 4.4 in order to have full java8 support in my
experiences. I just tested with 7.0.27 built from sources and the
issue is present with the 3.7.2 version that it depends on. If I
upgrade to ecj-4.4.2.jar (retrieved from a later build of tomcat7)
then JSPs will compile and everything works.