Replies at the end:

Andrew:

On 8/17/2016 7:15 AM, Andrew Davis wrote:
> Its a redhat ..  i don't think tomcat 7 or later will run on this.
>
> On Aug 17, 2016 9:14 AM, "André Warnier (tomcat)" <a...@ice-sa.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On 17.08.2016 16:06, Andrew Davis wrote:
>>
>>> Thanks for the prompt..
>>>
>>> I have been looking at the doc s and have my .jar file for
>>> postgres in the lib folder.
>>>
>>> I do not understand where the <Context> <Resource
>>> name="jdbc/postgres..."
>>>
>>> Is supposed to go.
>>>
>>> Im reading at
>>> https://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/jndi-datasource-
>>> examples-howto.html
>>>

>> If your version is Tomcat 7, then maybe you should look at the
>> Tomcat 7 documentation, not the v 6 one.
>>
>> In any case, even Tomcat 7 is somewhat old now.  Can you upgrade to
>> a later version ? That might increase your chances of getting help
>> here.
>>

>>> This author has not had success here...
>>>
>>> This doesn't inspire confidence  here,  but that's what the
>>> documentation shows...
>>>

>> Sorry, but personally my expertise in these matters is nil, so I
>> hope someone else here can pick this up now.
>>
>> Andy
>>>
>>> On Aug 17, 2016 4:43 AM, "André Warnier (tomcat)" <a...@ice-sa.com>
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>> On 17.08.2016 11:32, Andrew Davis wrote:
>>>
>>> Thanks.

>>> I am far from an expert on this kind of thing, but have you
>>> looked at this :
>>>
>>> http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-8.0-doc/config/globalresources.html

Maybe that is the missing link in your understanding ?

o.html#JDBC_Data_Sources  is confusing to me.  It shouldnt but it is..

AD: Its a redhat ..  i don't think tomcat 7 or later will run on this.

From your first message, I thought that this was Ubuntu? Please note
that different Linux distributions package Tomcat differently.

AD: I have the postgresql.jar file installed on my headless ubuntu
server, but no luck.

According to what I just searched for, I believe you can install Tomcat
7 via apt-get (depending on your Ubuntu version). Tomcat 8 also appears
to be available via apt-get - again depending on your Ubuntu version.

If you're running a RedHat 6 variant, it appears that Tomcat 6 is what's
available.

If you're running a RedHat 7 variant, it appears that Tomcat 7 is what's
available.

Please note that I install Tomcat manually for all of my systems, the
above is just a result of searches. YMMV.

AD: I have been looking at the docs and have my .jar file for postgres
in the lib folder.

Are you sure that you're placing it in the correct directory?

From memory, RedHat - derived distributions set things up so that you
can run multiple Tomcats (see RUNNING.txt in the standard distribution).
Sometimes this means placing the JDBC jars in not-quite-so-obvious places.

That being said, if you place the JDBC jars in the base Tomcat library
directory, all running Tomcats (if you're running more than one) should
pick it up.

In your log, you should have two lines near the top:

INFO: CATALINA_BASE: (some directory path)
INFO: CATALINA_HOME: (some directory path)

If you could, please grab those lines and paste the text (not an image)
into your reply.

The libs directory is (should be) a subdirectory of at least
CATALINA_HOME. If you're running multiple Tomcats, their could be a libs
directory as a subdirectory of CATALINA_BASE.

The next thing to be concerned with is permissions. Tomcat runs as a
non-privileged user (usually tomcat). Make sure that the JDBC jar file
can be read by the user running Tomcat. Typically, this is done by
changing the group and user ownership to the ones used by the Tomcat
process, and NOT by making the JDBC jar world-accessible.

Please do an ls -l in the directory where all of the JARS are, and paste
the results in as text in your reply.

Once all of that is sorted, we can poke around some more.

. . . just my two cents
/mde/