I was under the impressions that as of 8.5.3 you could do JSSE with OpenSSL
from this page:

https://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-8.5-doc/ssl-howto.html#Edit_the_Tomcat_Configuration_File

Excerpt:
"Tomcat can use three different implementations of SSL:

JSSE implementation provided as part of the Java runtime
JSSE implementation that uses OpenSSL
APR implementation, which uses the OpenSSL engine by default"

I originally attempted using OpenSSL directly after viewing this post and
this is what my configuration is based off of:

https://community.letsencrypt.org/t/how-to-use-the-certificate-for-tomcat/3677/39

If it isn't supported, it is just odd that it did work with 8.5.3.