Doug,

On 8/29/16 6:29 PM, Doug Gschwind wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I have a file xyz.txt that is specific to my web application which
> needs to be located by my web application, and I wish to find that
> resource via getClass().ClassLoader().getResource("xyz.txt") at
> runtime. The xyz.txt file has no relation to any particular Java
> class in our application. This resource is used internally by the
> application and should not be served directly by the container to
> inbound HTTP requests, therefore I have it located in the
> WEB-INF/properties directory of my web app deployment. However, the
> getResource("xyz.txt") method returns null, even though my xyz.txt
> file is certainly where it is expected to be found.
>
> Where should I place this file ideally, and given that file exists
> in that location, what is the parameter value I need to pass to
> getResource() so it returns a non-null value?

- From a servlet, you'll want to to:

   URL url =
getServletContext().getResource("/WEB-INF/properties/xyz.txt");

If you don't have access to any of the servlet API objects, you might
have to move your properties file into the WEB-INF/classes/ directory,
or into a JAR file in the WEB-INF/lib/ directory. Then you can do this:

URL url =
Thread.currentThread().getContextClassLoader().getResource("/xyz.txt");

Then do whatever you want with that URL. For example:

Properties props = new Properties();
try(InputStream in = url.openStream()) {
  props.load(in);
}

// Now use your properties

Hope that helps,