On 16/10/2016 19:09, Mark Juszczec wrote:
> Hello
> I have Tomcat 8.0.28 running on CentOS Linux 7.2.1511 behind Apache 2.4.6
> I'm using AJP 1.3 for communication between Apache and Tomcat
> Its all powered by Java 1.8
> I'm having a problem with international characters when I send them as the
> request *URI* (which is used by GET requests and this is a GET request).
> Let's say I get the string AOËL
> mod_jk log  logs the bytes with the message
>  "ajp_connection_tcp_send_message::jk_ajp_common.c (1208): sending to ajp13
> pos=4 len=1411 max=8192" (at
> ajp_connection_tcp_send_message::jk_ajp_common.c) shows them to be:
>   41 4f c3 8b 4c
> AFAIK this means the correct bytes are being sent to AJP.  Is that correct?

That is the correct UTF-8 byte encoding for the characters AOËL.

> Running remote debugging via Spring Tool Suite to hook up to my code shows
> me I receive:
>     41 4f c3 c3 83 c2 c2 8b 4c

That is not valid UTF-8. If the UTF-8 bytes had been treated as
ISO-8859-1 and then re-encoded as UTF-8 I'd expect to see:

41 4f c3 83 c2 8b 4c

> I have verified the incorrect bytes appear as early in the call stack as
> when CoyoteAdapter.process() is invoked

I think you need to go a little further up the stack to track this down.

> I have UTF-8 specified as URIEncoding in ajp <Connector> and it has had no
> effect.

That is the change I would have expected was required.

> Ive also specified  useBodyEncodingForURI as true with no effect.

That won't help for a GET request.

> Conventional wisdom says the data is getting inadvertently as ISO-8859-1
> somewhere along the line. Since the data is correct (per mod_jk.log)
> heading into AJP and incorrect once CoyoteAdapter.java starts handling it
> somehow, something is going wrong when the data is interpreted after being
> read from the AJP port.
> Is that correct?

It looks to be something like that.

> I am at a loss as to how to correct this.  The only 2 things the docs say
> are to use URIEnocding="UTF-8" and  useBodyEncodingForURI="true".  I'm
> doing that and its not working.
> I am at a loss about what else to try or where to look.
> If you were faced with this, what would you try?  Any advice or suggestions
> will be greatly appreciated.

I'd dig into the connector code. You need to figure out where those
bytes are being transformed and why.