André,

On 1/18/17 8:02 AM, André Warnier (tomcat) wrote:
> So what you are saying above, is that the "minSpareThreads"
> attribute in a Connector (without Executor) is not really being
> ignored.

Right.

> It is just the "shrinking" part of it that is not being done
> anymore, since tomcat 6.0. Is that the correct interpretation ?

Well... there isn't any "maxSpareThreads" setting on a <Connector>. So
the expectation that e.g. only 10 spare threads would be kept around
is an incorrect assumption.

There is one such configuration option on <Executor> -- it's actually
"maxIdleTime" which is slightly different, but gets the job done.

> A different question : how would one go about determining how many
> resources /are/ being used by an idle thread ? (or more relevantly,
> by a couple of hundred of them)

You are using a little memory: stack space for the thread (non-heap),
overhead for the thread itself to be managed by the JVM and/or OS,
etc. But in terms of CPU usage, the thread may as well not be there at
all.

> And yet another : Above, you say that "Tomcat starts another 3
> threads in the background". When does that actually happen, in
> relation to "3 new connections arrive" ? (or maybe without a direct
> relation, on some separate time schedule)

The background processor sees that the request for "10 idle threads
minimum" is not being fulfilled (only 7 remain! yikes!) and adds 3 new
threads to the pool.

> I realise that these are probably somewhat pernickety questions,
> and maybe without much real-world practical importance.  But I
> figure that we may as well get to the bottom of this, while we have
> your expert attention.

Ask away! Especially if it means that you are working on improving the
documentation for people who don't have as clear of an understanding.