One clarification: when I wrote:

"is there something configurable that
will allow those requests to be forwarded rather than rejected?"

... what I really meant was, is there a way for the request to reach
my servlet (which handles all requests), basically. I already have a
server-side implementation that can make the request of the backend
server and return the response to the front end.