Jeff Chuang wrote:
> Thanks for responses. If I put connector ajp-8009 configuration block
> BEFORE connector http-443 in server.xml, the log looks like
>
> Jun 19, 2006 5:33:11 PM org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11AprProtocol init
> INFO: Initializing Coyote HTTP/1.1 on http-80
> Jun 19, 2006 5:33:11 PM org.apache.coyote.ajp.AjpAprProtocol init
> INFO: Initializing Coyote AJP/1.3 on ajp-8009
> Jun 19, 2006 7:43:48 PM org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11AprProtocol init
> INFO: Initializing Coyote HTTP/1.1 on http-443
> Jun 19, 2006 7:43:48 PM org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina load
> INFO: Initialization processed in 7840211 ms
>
> So I believe ports 80 and 8009 are ok, the initialization problem is
> only on port 443
> I start tomcat by jsvc as root, and use openssl to generate self-signed
> certificate. After 2+ hours initialization, everything works fine and
> the ssl connector performance is excellent. Is it possible that any
> share library of openssl caused this initialization problem(delay)?

I have also seen this with one of my Tomcats. But since for me the HTTPS APR
Connector needs only 30 sec - 2 min to come up and not hours, it hasn't
bothered me enough to dig deeper into it.
The first time I saw this was with a Tomcat running on UML in a chroot. I
thought I solved the problem by bind-mounting /dev/random in the chroot. But
it seems it was only an accident that it worked after that and not because
the underlying problem was solved.
So, I can't give any help, I just can confirm that you're not the only one
seeing this.

Regards
   mks