I am trying to address a security vulnerability notification for several
servers.  We have tomcat6 installed.  The notification indicates that I
need to change the default passwords in the admin-users.xml file.  When I
view the file it looks like everything is commented out.  And there are
several places where a password is set.  I have also confirmed that the
tomcat service is running and the only dependencies are for winsock and
tcpip drivers.

I am not familiar with tomcat or making any changes to any configurations.

Can I just change the password in the xml file?
Do I need to stop and restart services and if so, just the tomcat service?
What is affected by stopping and restarting services?

Sorry for my ignorance ... I am a total newbie.

--
Theresa Whitney
Systems Administrator - Server Support