Chris,

On 4/18/17 10:58 AM, Chris Gamache wrote:
> Is there a way to create a split point where sendFile will handle
> files of certain mime types (or all mime-types except for an
> exclusion list of mime types) and/or of certain sizes while
> compression will handle files of other mime-types and/or certain
> sizes?

You could configure a second DefaultServlet that matches specific
patterns. You could also configure a "named" DefaultServlet and then
use a Filter to decide if you want your CompressionDefaultServlet to
handle your output versus your (likely "default") SendfileDefaultServlet
.

> Both settings have a minimum file size that engages their mechanism
> but to set up a division of labor I would think we would need all
> of include/exclude and max/min for both sendfile() and compression.
> Again, I could be missing something obvious by staring at the
> problem too long.

You could also pre-compress your static files.

> @André and the rest of the listserv, In your opinions-- thinking
> about the web site consumer's experience, and having to choose
> either send sendfile() or compression-- is the juice worth the
> squeeze so-to-speak keeping sendfile() and sending uncompressed
> files, or is the better choice to enable compression at the expense
> of direct static file access and save bandwidth?

It really depends upon your use-case. If you have a lot of free CPU
cycles, then using them instead of sendFile="true" will improve your
overall throughput to the client.

If you have a very CPU-intensive application (which most are NOT...
most apps are just waiting around for a disk, database, etc. to
respond) then maybe you want to be as CPU-efficient as possible and
use sendFile="true".

If you have a very data-heavy application (tons of bytes need to be
sent back and forth to the client) or you have clients with very thin
pipes (e.g. mobile), then compression might outweigh "efficiency" on
the application server.

- -chris